AbstractThe writer wonders if the person who assigned the subject of "History of Los Angeles Harbor" was aware that the conference was to be held in the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium. This latter city also has a harbor, the development of which is now so interwoven with that of Los Angeles that the Corps of Engineers in many official papers refers to "Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors, California." In the evolution of this large, modern, combined harbor with its present friendly internal rivalry, it has been designated by a number of names. Cabrillo in 1542 called the place "Bahia de los Humos." On the charts Vizcaino, 1602-1603, it appears as "Ensenada de San Andres." In 1734, the Spanish Admiral Gonzales gave it the name San Pedro, which still applies to the bay as a whole and to the community along the westerly side of the harbor.
Authors retain copyright and grant the Proceedings right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this Proceedings.